A study by the University of Buffalo's Shale Resources and Society Institute indicates an improvement at regulating natural gas drilling, reports the International Business Times.
Out of 4,000 wells, the report's authors studied close to 3,000 violations reported to the state's Department of Environmental Protection between January 2008 and August 2011.
Of that number, 62 percent of the violations were administrative in nature and could have been prevented. The remaining 38 percent were environmental and included "major" incidents, including land spills, blowouts, gas migration and venting.
As time went on, however, the number of violations in relation to the number of gas wells dug started falling, decreasing by 58.2 percent in 2008 to 40.3 percent in 2009, and to 30.5 percent in 2010. By the first eight months of 2011, the report found the number of violations dropped further to 26.5 percent.
Original source: International Business Times
Read the full story here